Friday, February 22, 2019

"I'm Bored" is a bad word



It has literally been over 15 years since I remember hearing, "I'm bored!" It was in one of my oldest kids, and I had a talk with them all about how selfish and prideful it is to say that they were bored. I explained that when they say, "I'm bored," they are being prideful and complaining, and the Bible has a lot to say about both of those. There is never a reason to be bored. There is always someone to bless or serve. There is always something that you can contribute towards the family workload. There is always someone that would be blessed by an email or letter. There is always a smaller sibling that would love to have a book read to them or a game played with them. There is always a dog that would love to have a ball thrown for them to retrieve. 

If your kids (or you) are in the habit of saying those "bad words," then read what the Bible has to say about work, selfishness, being a servant, or doing things without complaining:



Philippians 2:14,"Do all things without complaining,"


Prov. 19:15, "Slothfulness casts into a deep sleep, and an idle person will suffer hunger."


Eccles. 9:10, "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might"


Col. 3:23, "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,"


Prov. 13:4, "The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.'


Gal. 5:13,"For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another."


1 Corinth 10:24," Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor." 


I'm thankful that I don't hear this phrase. I think it was helpful to teach my older kids why we don't say that so my younger kids have not heard it or seen selfish boredom modeled. This requires training though. You need to teach your kids that they don't always have to be entertained by movies, screens or fun activities. They can think of productive things to do on their own because you have explained and taught them a lot of fun things to do in their free time. Blessing others. Crafts. Hiking and enjoying nature. Asking a parent or sibling, "How can I help you?" Writing letters. Learning a hobby. Selling on ebay. Being okay with times of prayer and quiet time just hearing from God themselves.


Even a 4 year old can see needs. In this picture my then 4 year old asked on her own to fill up our water filter. She took great pride in that job!!



But as always we need to model what it looks like to "do all things without complaining." and to show them how to joyfully do mundane chores with the right attitude.

People always say that they wish that children came with an instruction manual. They, do, my friend! Everything you need for life and godly parenting is in the Bible!!! God is awesome!!!!

2 comments: