Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Homeschool Curriculum Review: Math

Hi Fellow Homeschoolers!
I was recently asked to discuss what we are currently using and loving for our homeschool curriculum.   I thought I'd start with math....cause math is just wonderful.  =) 





 Over the last 20+ years that I've been perusing and using homeschool curriculum, I've tried MANY different math curricula.
The list that we have tried at one time or another is extensive:

  • Singapore Math
  • Abeka Math
  • Horizons Math
  • Teaching Textbooks 
  • Math Lessons for a Living Education 
  • Mathematical Reasoning (Critical Thinking Press)
  • ALEKS
  • Life of Fred
  • Principles of Mathematics (Master Books) 
  • Math-U-See
And many I've looked at and decided wasn't a good fit for our family...which includes practically all that wasn't mentioned above.  (I'm a curriculum junkie!)  =)
Sometimes a great curriculum for one student is just not a great fit for the next so I've had to ditch a great curriculum for a time to fit a different learning style. (One of the biggest reasons I LOVE homeschooling!!)

Our current math that is working the best for us in this season is:



Pre-K: Horizons Math K
Kindergarten: Horizons Math 1
1st: Horizons Math 2

2nd: Math Lessons for a Living Education 3
3rd: Math Lessons for a Living Education 4
4th: Math Lessons for a Living Education 5
5th: Math Lessons for a Living Education 6

6th: Principles of Mathematics 1
7th: Principles of Mathematics 2

8th: Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1
9th: Teaching Textbooks Geometry
10th: Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2
11th: Dual Credit Math: Either College Algebra or College Mathematics depending on the student

12th: Math U See Stewardship (to make sure all the practical math has been covered for life--I just have them read through it and do any problems they aren't knowledgeable about)

Let me explain a few things that I can already hear questions about.

**I've found that all of my 4 year olds have been ready for kindergarten math and excited to start school to be like the big kids. So we usually finish kindergarten math a year early.

**I really love Math Lessons for a Living Education (MLFLE)  but not levels 1-2. I felt like it was too much writing/copywork for kids too young to have great fine motor skills....so we use Horizons through 2nd grade. Which is perfect because starting in grade 3, I feel like Horizons uses "drill and kill."  Way too many problems to easily overwhelm the average 8 year old.

**MLFLE and Principles of Mathematics are both published by Master books so they flow well into each other

**Overall I love Teaching Textbooks for High school.  It has a lot of repetition and explains concepts sometimes overboard. Each problem is worked out entirely so students are easily able to do this on their own.   On the flip side, Teaching Textbooks can be very frustrating for a student that is a natural at math and loves it.  They explain and re explain. Most kids love that. My student who is a very fast learner at math did not like that at all.

**If a student just loves higher math and/or wants to go into a STEM field that requires Calculus, I honestly feel that Life of Fred is the most rigorous and best preparation for math nerds.   It goes way deeper and wider than pretty much any other math out there. It explains so much of WHY something is done that math nerds relish!  So for that kind of student, I would start Fred in Pre Algebra or Beginning Algebra.

**While I love the Life of Fred Elementary, for us it wasn't enough work as a stand alone curriculum until about 5th grade. It's plenty enough starting at 5th grade and do recommend it for advanced kids around that age as a great option.

So that is what is currently working in our school right now.  There is not really a wrong choice though. If what you are using is working and not causing stress or tears in you or your kids, then stick with it!!!  If math is stressful or brings tears, then I'd recommend switching curriculum even if you are only a month into it.   We had to do that when we tried Abeka....it's just too much "drill and kill."   We want math to be fun (as much as possible anyway).   What works for 1 or 2 students might not work for a houseful of students and vice versa.  You know your children's learning style, how you like to teach, and what season you're in. Nobody is better at making curriculum decisions for your family than YOU are!  So don't feel you need to fit into anybody's mold.  I'm only sharing what is currently working with us to give people ideas.  Happy Homeschooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment