Friday, April 9, 2010

New Mennonite Friends

I mentioned that last week we were able to have 2 couples in our home for the Esh/Gingerich funeral. The day of the accident, I called and got my name on a list to host any families if needed. I was excited to find out we would get to.
Both couples arrived in the evening time. The first family, the Millers, were from Ohio. They were SO friendly and nice. They were excited to hear that we had a daughter named Hosanna because they did as well! They used to be Amish, but converted to Mennonite about 15 years ago. I was able to talk to them about the differences between the two and ask them some questions that I'd always wanted to ask. Grin. The first 2 pictures are of the Millers. The top one was taken about 6:45am. Gilead has woken up early when I did so he was pretty sleepy. I was making eggs for the families and Gilead just stood there for about 10 minutes watching Mr Miller. Finally, Mr Miller held his arms out to Gil and Gil RAN as fast as he could to him and just sat quietly in his lap for 15 minute while I made breakfast. That was really unusual because he usually doesn't like strangers. Maybe Gilead wants to be Mennonite one day. = )
The 2nd picture was of them before they left for the funeral.
Later that night, the 2nd couple came....the Stolzfus' from Lancaster County PA. They were really friendly too.
The thing that made me chuckle the most is that as soon as they arrived and sat down, the 2 Amish turned Mennonite men had a long conversation comparing their Blackbery phones with regular phones and why one changed over to Central time and the other didn't. Mr Miller also got out his imac computer to show me a picture of his 4 beautiful children. Nothing wrong with that...it just busted up my paradigm expecting them to live simpler than we do and with less technology, only to find out they were hi-tech Mennonites. I don't even have my own cell phone and up til last summer, I mistakenly called those phones BLUEberries not BLACKberries. LOL
I DID feel like I fit in, however, over breakfast when Mrs Miller and Stolzfus and I were exchanging homemade bread recipes and I had the same grain mill and used the same wheat as they do. I actually taught the older Mennonite some things she didn't know. LOL.
Below (3rd picture) is Moses Stolzfus as they were leaving. I never did get a picture of his dear wife.
What I really appreciated is how we felt like brothers and sisters in Christ despite our denominational differences. We all love Jesus and we had so much fun, even though I didn't own a blackberry or a head covering. Grin.
I loved these Mennonites...they live what they believe!!



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this post! I've always been curious about the Amish and Mennonites, and I'm very uninformed on the topic. What a wonderful experience to be able to host them and learn about the way they worship and live.

    ReplyDelete