Friday, April 2, 2010

Not the same

I'm not the same as I was a week ago.  Ya see, last Friday, a van from our small town carrying a precious family and some of their friends who were headed to a wedding was hit head on by a semi truck that crossed the median about an hour from our house.  Of 12 people in the van, only 2 survived--3 and 5 year old brothers who were in their car seats.   The 10 who died included their mom and dad, baby brother, grandpa, grandma, 3 aunts, and 2 friends.   We knew all but 1 who was in the van. We got milk from one of the couples, another young man put in our driveway and concrete a few years back with his dad and brothers.

The funeral was a few days ago, and 3,500 people showed up...mainly Mennonites and Amish.  The family who died was Mennonite.   When you add that many people to a county that has a total population of 6,800, it changes things!!   Since we have exactly one motel in Burkesville, it required many of us to open our homes to the influx of friends and relatives of the Esh family.
We were very honored and blessed to be able to host 2 couples.  One from Lancaster County, PA and one from NE Ohio.   They were both Amish turned Mennonite.   They were such sweet, friendly people and we were so happy to have gotten to know them.
All across our county, denominational walls were broken down and the whole area came together to help and support the Mennonite community who was grieving the loss of about 10% of their people.  It was so neat..a glimpse of what heaven must be like.
As things like this have a way of doing, they force you to realize that we are not immortal.  None of us will escape life alive, unless the Lord returns first.  
The accident claimed the life of a baby, and a few young people as well as 2 in their 60's.  Death is no respecter of persons.    While I totally believe that it did not shock God, that somehow it is part of His bigger plan that we humans can't always grasp, it still takes us by surprise.  It rocks our "perfect little world" where we are fretting about what to make for dinner or why are the lines so long at the supermarket, or why does the baby need a diaper change when we're already late for church.   It rocks us into realizing what is TRULY important and what stress really means. 
I'm not the same this week....I am much more patient with my family, I pray a lot more over small things, I have much more of a passion for sharing Jesus with others, I know what it means to "weep with those who weep" and I have a stronger faith in God that He is totally in control of my life and I need to trust Him through every up and down.    Our pastor asked the question on Sunday, "If you were in that van last Friday, do you know for sure where you would be today?"    I'm so thankful that I do without a doubt know where I would be.  But so many in church, in the grocery store, on the street answer that question with a definite "No, I don't know where I would be."  or worst yet...they do know and it isn't with Jesus.

If you can't answer that question with a definite YES!!!  Then please do nothing else until you do know. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.   Life is short....we aren't guaranteed tomorrow.  The Bible says that today is the day of salvation.  The Bible also says that you don't have to wonder if you have eternal life, you can know FOR SURE!

I thank God for what He has done this last week in me and many others.  I don't understand it all, but I choose to trust my Savior that He is in control.   It's easy to praise God when everything is going great but I choose to praise God when things are not as well.  Blessed be the name of the Lord.

I will close with the lyrics of the song BLESSED BE YOUR NAME.

Blessed Be Your Name


In the land that is plentiful

Where Your streams of abundance flow

Blessed be Your name



Blessed Be Your name

When I'm found in the desert place

Though I walk through the wilderness

Blessed Be Your name



Every blessing You pour out

I'll turn back to praise

When the darkness closes in, Lord

Still I will say



Blessed be the name of the Lord

Blessed be Your name

Blessed be the name of the Lord

Blessed be Your glorious name



Blessed be Your name

When the sun's shining down on me

When the world's 'all as it should be'

Blessed be Your name



Blessed be Your name

On the road marked with suffering

Though there's pain in the offering

Blessed be Your name



Every blessing You pour out

I'll turn back to praise

When the darkness closes in, Lord

Still I will say



Blessed be the name of the Lord

Blessed be Your name

Blessed be the name of the Lord

Blessed be Your glorious name



Blessed be the name of the Lord

Blessed be Your name

Blessed be the name of the Lord

Blessed be Your glorious name



You give and take away

You give and take away

My heart will choose to say

Lord, blessed be Your name

1 comment:

  1. I am so very sorry for the sudden loss of your friends and acquaintances. You raise such important points in this post. Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete