Friday, March 8, 2019

Are you a THANKFUL Mother of children?

A few weeks ago, when we talked about the subject of being bored, I touched on the importance of teaching our children to not complain.  I wanted to expound on that a bit more because this ONE concept, if you really work on it in your family, will transform the whole environment of your home! 

A verse that is one of my favorites and one I have repeated often is found in Philippians 2:14:


"Do ALL THINGS without complaining and disputing..."

She's complaining about SOMETHING.
 I just don't know what. 
Did you catch that?  ALL THINGS!   That doesn't leave a lot of room open for griping does it?   WHEW. This is a tough one.  A number of years ago, this was the theme that God was working on in our family.   Focusing on complaining....and beginning to notice it....in myself as much as the kids, it really started to be a "thing" that I realized we needed to work on.     As a family we really tried to catch it and focus more on thankfulness.   With practice we got better!   We are by no means complain-free.  In fact, I still catch myself often thinking or saying something and immediately catching myself, but when you become aware of your complaining, you can start to change not only the words that come out of your mouth, but also the thoughts that float through your brain.  Because, EVERYTHING we say, starts in our brain!!!

This passage is SO COOL though.  Let's keep reading verses 14-16:
Do all things without complaining and disputing,  that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,  holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
Mini sermon time...it says that by being people who don't complain, we actually "shine as lights in the world" in a "crooked and perverse generation."  What an impact and a difference we can make as Christians by simply "doing all things without complaining."   That is profound!!!

So, when you catch yourself (or your kids) complaining:

"I hate winter; I can't wait until spring!"
"I thought this was supposed to be FAST food...they are taking FOREVER."
"The music was too loud/too soft at church."
"So and so drives me crazy!" 
"This food is nasty!"
"I'm so sick of doing laundry."

I challenge you to catch yourself.  Bite your tongue and instead think of something you can be thankful for in this situation! Eventually, you will develop a habit of not complaining and instead being more thankful.   I encourage you to talk to your kids about it.  Make it into a game of "catching" complaints and pointing them out to each other...or seeing who can be the most thankful instead.    

Here is a fun song to watch with your kids. Steve Green's "Without Complaining."  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment