Friday, March 5, 2010

Honduras-Grocery Part 6



On Tuesday morning, I got to go into a Honduran grocery store. It wasn't terribly different. They had a lot of brands that I hadn't heard of before, but many that I did. It was about as clean as a Save A Lot or Aldi's. It is very weird seeing all the prices that seem so high. The exchange rate is 19 Lempiras to 1 US Dollar. I had heard about a delicacy in Honduras (that fortunately we didn't "get" to try) called Huevos de toro...or "eggs of a bull." They apparently grill the "bull eggs."
If you aren't understanding what I'm talking about feel free to email me...grin. I got some funny looks when I photgraphed these bull "parts" in the deli. = )


As we were checking out, Gilead decided to do what he does at Wal Mart. He clicks any button he can find. At Wal Mart, it never causes any problems, but in Honduras, the checkout screen is a Dell Computer monitor and the keyboard is right there where our credit card scanner usually is....right within babies reach. Before I realized the set up...Christy was ahead of me and I was loading behind, the clerk had rang up a few items and then the whole computer went completely black. Of all the buttons on the keyboard, he clicked ONE that was "POWER." Sigh. The cashier wasn't too amused when it took 3-4 minutes to completely reboot the computer, re log in and re scan the items she had already scanned. I'm sure she was thinking, "Dumb gringos kids." When the whole bill was totalled, it was just over $1,800!!! That included $259 sunscreen, 62.50 milk and 10.50 liter of bottled water. = ) Here is the cash register as it was still being totalled.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your blog posts - it's fun to get a visitor's perspective of things we are so used to! Yesterday at the meat counter Isaiah was excited to discover the "animal mouths with yellow lips" - I'll give you one guess as to what that was - that was a fun anatomy lesson - especially with Iris asking, "What did you say? What is so funny?"

    ReplyDelete