Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Honduras-Monday Medical Clinic Part 5


On Monday, Chris was able to work along side the local doctor in Siguatepeque. Dr Karina Aguilar at the Betania Clinic. It was great timing, because she was put on bedrest the week before 1/2 way though her pregnancy. She did show up, but it was nice that Chris could do the bulk of the work. He saw 98 patients that day. It is a very poor clinic. They charge only a small fee to be seen...I think it was $5. They also help provide medicines and transportation to the nearest hospital when needed as well. They are a ministry of one of the local churches there called Iglesia Bautista Betania (Bethany Baptist Church). The clinic runs on a budget of only $2,000/month that comes entirely from donations. They use the clinic as an evangelistic tool.
The first patient that he saw was an elderly lady that had severe burns on her body after falling into an open stove. Chris treated her burns and referred her to the local hospital.
The clinic is on the right in this picture...the church on the left.
c
Chris examining a little boy.
Me and some of the sweet savages meeting some new Honduran friends while they were waiting to be seen in the clinic.
The lady holding the little girl in the back thought I knew Spanish when I initiated a converstion by saying something in Spanish....I immediately realized my error when she rattled off in Spanish to me...thankfully, Christy came to my rescue and told me that she was wondering how many children I had. Whew...I'm sure I looked like deer in headlights for a few seconds.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment