Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Homeschooling perspective.


Because I spend the majority of my weekdays running a 1 room schoolhouse...or in my case a few-room, schoolhouse, I am, of course, passionate about our decision to homeschool.  I honestly LOVE teaching my kids everything they need to learn.  What I love even more, is what I learn in the process.  Not just academics but character-building--MINE!   I don't consider myself a pushy homeschooler, or one who feels that everyone should homeschool. I do, however, think more Christians should at least consider the option and see if it might be something God would want them to do. 
I recently received my favorite homeschool magazing in the mail--The Old Schoolhouse.
I bribed myself that I would only read it on the treadmill...and it is working.  Grin.
Yesterday, when I was reading and walking, I read a quote that was just too good to not share.  It really made sense and was an interesting new perspective on why some choose to homeschool.
I'm going share it here. It is from an article called The Princess or the Pack Mule by Denise Mira.
So why must we pray about whether or not to send our kids away to be trained by institutions for the best forty hours of every week?  Most parents won't share their car keys or pin numbers with anyone, yet they'll give strangers complete, unsupervised access to their most valuable treasures--their offspring--without a second thought.
I just thought that was some good food for thought.   I know many will disagree...that's okay, but I pray that it causes some to consider their options and re-assess their lives.

1 comment: