Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Trouble with the In-laws




Because this week is both my father-in-law's birthday and their anniversary, I thought I'd pay a tribute to them. I mean, how many people blog about the dreaded "in-laws?"

The trouble with my husband's parents is that they forgot to read the rule book on how to be an in-law. They are terrible with the following "in-law" rules:
1. Criticise your daughter in law at least once every week.
2. NEVER compliment your daughter in law...she might get stuck up.
3. Give your grandkids tons of junk food, then leave them for their parents to calm down.
4. Complain to your son about how she runs the house.
5. Complain about how she cooks, cleans or trains the kids.
6. Don't spend time teaching the girls sewing or the boys how to shoot...that is only the parent's job.
7. When you take nature walks, don't teach them every tree name, bird name, wildflower name...it is too educational...who needs that anyway...
8. Don't ever sneak dark chocolate to your daughter in law...gotta watch those hips ya know!
9. If your daughter in law asks for help with sewing cause she stinks at it, tell her to take a hike and buy a book "Sewing for Dummies." You have better things to do with your time.
10. Never tell her that you are glad your son married her...she might use it against you.
Those are only the beginning of the rules that my in laws are TERRIBLE at. Either they forgot to read the book or think they are smarter than that......either way, I'm so happy to have in laws who rebel and just act like the world's best mother and father in law!! They come over every Sunday just to talk and play. It's always such a fun, relaxing day.
Thanks Mom and Dad! Happy Birthday....Happy Anniversary...love you!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree... they are wonderful even if they aren't my in-laws. I've been trying to figure out how to adopt them as MY kids grandparents too!

    Happy anniversary from the Petersons!

    ReplyDelete