Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mid-Week Musings


Here is what's going on in my brain this week, in no logical order.

That picture is my favorite breakfast this month.  Today I made it for the oldest 6 sweet savages and they devoured it with no complaints...here's how it works:
1. Slice 1 banana into bowl.
2. I use an apple corer and then cut those pieces into bite size pieces..add 1 apple to bowl.
3. Add  1/2 c of raw uncooked rolled oats.
4. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
5. Add a handful of walnuts or other nuts if you like them.
6. I also add 1T of ground flax seed and 1 T of melted virgin coconut oil but if that is too weird for ya, it's optional. I've made it without both of those and it doesn't taste much different. I just try to get the healthy Omega 3's in my diet to help with breastfeeding...and my loss of brain cells from teaching 6 levels of math..but I digress.
7. Mix everything together, Thank God for your food and chow down.
It's super fast to make...even 7 bowls of it..and super healthy too.  It actually satisfies me til lunch as well!
For the younger kids, I cut that recipe in 1/2 for their bowls.

I just finished reading the biography of George Muller yesterday to the sweet savages for the 3rd time in 6-7 years.  He is my favorite missionary to read about because he trusted in the power of God and the power of prayer more than anyone I've ever heard of.  He has again motivated me to ask my Daddy God for even little things, knowing that because they are important to me, they are important to Him.
Muller also is inspiring in his determination to not let the things of this world clutter his life or ablility to serve God.  I feel SO cluttered in my life most times and truly desire to move towards what Muller describes in his life.  It's a process and I'm continuing towards that end.
We read the biography from YWAM Christian Hero's series.  I highly recommend you getting a copy and reading to your family.  Even just 1 chapter after dinner or before bed.  We LOVE our read aloud time every day....even the big boys don't miss it. =  )

I have spent a lot more time in prayer this week than I typically do.  Not prayer like you picture kneeling for hours at a time.....but the kind of prayer where I just chat with God off and on all day long.  I've had some friends going through some stressful stuff, that I'm always thinking about and bringing them before my Daddy God. I have a class that I'm co-leading on marriage and the topic tonight I feel very burdened about and have been praying all week for God's words to flow through me.   And I have had an overwhelmed feeling the last 3 days...not overwhelmed in a bad way, but absolutely, wonderfully overwhelmed with God's goodness.   I think of all that God has changed and worked in me in the past, say 16 yrs and I'm so humbled and thankful for what God has done  in my life to transform me more and more into the image of Christ.  It has not all been fun, some has been downright scary and the majority of it has been through these 7 sweet savages running around my kitchen and my amazing husband!   I sometimes (not often enough) get a glimpse of who I was/am apart Christ....the prideful, sinful person that God chose to draw to Himself, and I am so humbled that he would choose ME to give these 7 kids and husband to.  I truly see them all as precious gifts with a To and From tag from God and everything.   It's not that I've had a particularly smooth week here in savageville....on the contrary...it is quite like a 3 ring (or 7 ring) circus often enough.  But in the midst of that, God has allowed me to choose thankfulness and to see the blessings in the midst of the chaos. 
I'm thinking that the extra "chat time" I've had with God this week has been so amazing.  I literally feel the presence of God in our home and feel the joy of the Lord all over me like baby lotion on a baby.  It's awesome.   Like the song says, "Better is one day in your house than thousands elsewhere." 

My mom in love made my 3 daughters the cutest dresses recently.  I wish I was as talented as her.  My superpower is laundry and breastfeeding, not sewing. Haha.
She asked me to pick out 3 shirts when I was shopping for them and I wasn't quite sure what she was going to do, but knew whatever it was would be great.  I LOVE these dresses...they are so cute!! (Thanks grandma!!)




Well, that's all I have time for now....bean soup and wheat bread is ready to serve up for din din.

3 comments:

  1. I love the dresses. Those are awesome. Praise is starting to look like Jubie. I can't wait to come and visit. Breakfast looked good too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misti,
    Where can I find coconut oil? This looks really good!!
    Just want to tell you the class is AWESOME I love that you share your heart, and believe me so much in this class has changed mine. Hope you have a great day!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute dresses. I too am in the process of finishing up some matching ones for my 5 youngest girls. Oh they are needing to have patience with me. I'm sure they think it can all be finished in one day.

    ReplyDelete